How Do You Put on a Prong Collar Properly?
Applying a prong collar on your dog is both a science and an art. It's important to get it on properly so that your dog feels comfortable and safe. The scientific part comes in when you figure out the right size and fit for your dog. The art part is in how you put it on and adjust it to make sure it's tight enough without being too tight.
As Daniel demonstrates in this video, closing and releasing a prong collar is simple. Just make sure the prongs are pointing inwards and close it by squeezing the two ends together. You can then adjust the collar to fit your dog's neck by sliding the metal loop up or down.
When putting on a prong collar, always make sure there's a space of two fingers between the collar and your dog's skin. This will ensure that it's not too tight and uncomfortable. If the prongs are too close to your dog's skin, they can cause injury.
Here are the steps for putting on a prong collar:
- Make sure the collar is fitted properly. It should be snug, but not tight, around your dog's neck.
- Insert the prongs into the holes in the collar.
- Close the collar by squeezing the two ends together.
- Adjust the collar to fit your dog's neck by sliding the metal loop up or down.
- Check that there's a space of two fingers between the collar and your dog's skin. If not, adjust accordingly.
- Attach a leash to the metal loop and you're ready to go!
The Beacon Dog Academy is the premier online dog training school, founded by Daniel Barrett, a professional dog trainer. Make sure to check out our other videos on how to use a prong collar safely and effectively! When you're ready to dive into a full-fledged dog training course, be sure to subscribe to The Beacon Dog Academy's online training videos. Get an up-close view of Daniel's training methods and learn how to train your dog like a pro!